For the filling:
60g Demerara sugar (plus extra to sprinkle)
2 large Bramley apples
For the crumble:
75g rolled oats
50g caster sugar
200g plain flour
50g barley flakes (You don’t have to add this, just gives it another texture)
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Melt the butter and sugar in a pan slowly. Until it turns a light caramel colour.
- Core the apples and chop into chunks.
- Core the cherries and chop into half.
- Add the apples to the melted butter and sugar and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the blackberries and cherries. Cook for a further 1 minute.
- Put the filling into an ovenproof gratin dish. Allow to cool while making the crumble
- Put the flour, oats, sugar and butter in a bowl, rub in with your fingers until it combined. At this stage you can add a sprinkle more of oats.
- Spoon the crumble mixture over the fruit. Make sure no fruit is visible as it could make the juices of the fruit overflow.
- Sprinkle over some Demerara sugar.
- Cook for 40-45 minutes… or until the crumble is crisp and you can see the juices of the fruit bubbling over.
-Charlotte DOAF x