Tomatoes need sunshine, so choose an open, warm site. They do fantastically well in a greenhouse but you can gain very good results outside in a container against a warm wall. They need a well drained, fertile soil, that doesn’t dry out too quickly.
If growing in containers, use a specially formulated grow bag or good quality potting compost.
- Plant out tomato plants using a stake for support.
- Cut out any side shoots, as they appear to keep to a central stem.
- Water and feed regularly with a liquid tomato.
- Pick the fruit as soon as they ripen.
- If frost is forecast, harvest the tomatoes green and allow to ripen in doors.
- Tomatoes are definitely best picked fresh but, if do need to store a glut, perhaps consider cooking, pulping and freeze for a burst of summer in the winter months.
We have lots of recipes using this base tomato sauce!
-Deborah DOAF x