I adore black forest, but i always find having a whole cake to myself is a little bit too much sometimes…This is where the creation for these wonderful cupcakes came from.
Lovely soft sponge, homemade beautiful jam, smooth cream topped with a crunchy tree!
Makes 12 Cupcakes
For the Cake –
- 100g Plain Flour
- 20g Cocoa Powder
- 140g Caster Sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- pinch of Salt
- 40g Unsalted Butter, room temp
- 120ml Milk
- 1 Duck Egg
- 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla Bean Paste
For the Topping –
- 300ml Double Cream
- 340g Plain Flour
- 40g Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Bean Paste
- 1 Duck Egg
- 200g Caster Sugar
- 267g Unsalted Butter, room temp
For the Jam –
1 Lemon, Juiced
300g Caster Sugar
*I always make loads of this jam as it is great, and last for a long tine.. also great for gifting.
- Make the jam. In a large saucepan add the blackberries, sugar and lemon and heat on low until the sugar is dissolved. In a small bowl add the cornflour, and 4tbsp of the juice from the pan. Stir to combine and add the pan. Keep mixing until the cornflour is dispersed add the essence and syrup. Bring to the boil, and stir. Pour into a shallow dish and cool.
- Make the cupcakes.
- Preheat the oven to 170C
- Put the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a electric mixer and mix until combined.
- whisk the milk and egg and vanilla in a measuring jug and slowly pour it into the flour mixture will beating.
- Mix until it is smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases in the cupcake tin, fill about two-thirds full.
- Cook for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Beat butter and sugar with a mixer on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture, and beat until combined.
- Cut the dough in half and in half again, and freeze the larger bit (LASTS UP TO A MONTH)
- Roll out the dough and cut the cookies into trees, or whatever shape you fancy!
- Add them into the oven with the cupcakes and cook for about 5-8 minutes depending on how thick the cookies are.
- Leave the cakes to cool. Meanwhile whip up the whipped cream to stiff peaks.
- Hull out the cupcakes and add a spoonful of jam, top with whipped cream and a chocolate cookie tree.
- Enjoy your mini treats!!