We love adding vegetables to our loafs and cakes, without anyone suspecting a thing. If you’re wanting to get your friends, family, kids or other half to eat more vegetables without them knowing, this is the one for you!
This cake is light and not too sweet, but sweet enough to fill those cravings.
- 200g finely grated courgette- p.s make sure you squeeze out the water of the courgette.
- 150g demerara sugar
- 1 duck egg
- 130ml vegetable oil
- 200g plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarb of soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- whole lemon zest
For the topping
- 1 whole courgette, sliced or spiral
- 200g Caster sugar
- 17ml water
- 1 punnet of blueberries
- 150g icing sugar
- Begin, by preheating your oven to 160 C.
- In a large bowl add the grated courgette, sugar and the egg, and mix well.
- Into this bowl, sift in the flour, baking powder, bicarb, cinnamon. Add the lemon zest.
- Mix into well blended and no flour pockets, and pour into a greased loaf tin.
- Cook for about 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the candied courgette.
- Dissolve the sugar in the water in a medium saucepan over a medium heat.
- Once dissolved, add the courgette strips and simmer until translucent.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Lay the strips, spreading them out flat, on a silicone mat and let them dry in a very low oven for an hour until crispy.
- Once the cake is out of the oven and cooling, you can get started with your vegan yummy icing.
- Blend your blueberries together in a blender, until smooth.
- Add the blueberry juice gradually to the icing sugar until you reached your desired thickness.
- Pour over the icing and add the candied courgette, and enjoy!