We have always been such chocoholics, but i always find chocolate cake can be quite dry, and loading it on with cream to eat is not the best for you!
Then we learnt this a little trick of adding boiling water to your mixture. Which, oh my! makes it 10x more delicious!
Give this recipe a go, and see if you love it as much as us.. We are sure it won’t disappoint
- 256g Plain flour
- 402g Caster Sugar
- 90g Cocoa powder
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Bicarb of soda
- 1 tsp Coffee Powder
- 250ml Whole Milk
- 130ml Vegetable Oil
- 2 Duck Eggs (This is another thing that makes this cake so moist and rich)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 275ml boiling Water
- 1/2 tsp Orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 175C.
- Line two cake tins with butter and flour, or with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, bicarb, coffee powder, orange zest. Mix this until combined.
- In a measuring jug, add the milk, eggs, vanilla, vegetable oil. Whisk this until combined and slowly add into the flour mixture.
- Once the mixture is thick and combined add the boiling water while mixing. ( you will make a mess haha)
- Beat the mixture for at least a minute to get air into the batter.
- Divide the batter into the prepare tins, and bake for about 45 minutes. Or until a piece of dry pasta comes out clean. ( we found putting the oven up to 180c for the last 5 minutes helped)
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely until you frost with an amazing frosting.
- Serve. We also suggest you heat it up in the microwave for 10 seconds and add some double cream. You’re in choco-heaven!
P.S. if you want to know how we made the meringue drops on the picture, let us know!
-Deborah & Charlotte x