Oh yes, you read the title right. VEGAN MERINGUE. Gone are the days where you sob about missing out on a old favourite because it doesn’t fit your diet. Im sure you’re wondering how on earth are these even called meringues? Meringue is sweetened egg white. Science is the key.
If you are a vegan, you probably use a lot of chickpeas in your meals to keep up the protein. You probably drain away what you think is the useless water they are soaked in. Well, now are the times for using every single part of your food. Chickpea water is a protein water which essentially is what egg whites are.
So, these bad boys ca be used as a great substitute. The only few tips we can offer you is that the chickpea water takes a lot longer to whip up than normal egg white. Also once it is whipped up to “stiff peaks” it is quite loose… If that even makes any sense.
These meringues not only look like normal meringue they taste extremely similar. Debbie couldn’t even tell the difference! We topped these with a vanilla coconut cream. Which OH MY that is heaven… And safe to say a lot healthier than normal cream.
We think this would be the perfect combination for a lemon meringue pie. So, keep your eyes peeled for that! These are crunchy, chewy, sweet and delicious. Just like egg meringues but better for the environment! The process is the same. Simply whisk the chickpea water, slowly add sugar until it reaches the “stiff peaks” stage, pipe into nests, bake on a low heat for a couple of hours and cool. The worry some of you may be having is does it taste the chickpea brine/water? The answer is no! It taste just like the sugar meringue we all know and love.
If you make this amazing vegan dessert tag us in on Instagram using the hashtag Cookingwithtthefoodaholics as we love seeing your creations! Also head over to our youtube channel and subscribe while you’re over there to cook along with us.
- 1 Can of Drained Chickpea Water
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 130g Icing Sugar ( you could also use the flavoured ones from sugar and crumbs)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Bean
- Preheat the oven to 110C and line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
- Add the chickpea water to a free standing mixer and whisk until its white and fluffy it can take up to 10 minutes to get to this stage.
- Add the baking powder and mix for anther minute.
- Slowly add the icing sugar into the mixture. Adding a tablespoon at a time,
- Keep whisking the mixture until it is stiff peaks. Once again this could take a few minutes.
- Add the meringue into a pipping bag and pipe into bowls of any shape you want!
- Cook in the oven for 2 hours. Try not to open the oven to see how it is doing as it can ruin it!
- Once the cooking is done, turn off the oven and leave the meringues in the oven overnight.
- When you are ready to serve the meringue whip up some cold coconut milk with 2tsp of vanilla and add to the meringue along wit strawberries.
- Charlotte & Deborah x