It’s every bakers favourite time of year and that is when the Great British Bake Off is back on our screens. I’m sure you’ve seen the first episode and if you haven’t Thank me later. Every year we follow along with the bakes to feel like we are in the bake off without the stress. Lets be honest that tent seems like it just smells of fear.
If you’re not following us on Instagram you re probably think why the hell are we telling you about the bake off? 10 million people watched the first episode if i didn’t watch it i sure know someone who wont stop going on about it. This is because this year we have teamed up with the lovely people at Nothing But to show you our best showstoppers with their amazing snacks.
Nothing But are freeze dried snacks that are incredibly healthy for you and contain nothing but goodness. They contain 1 of your 5 a day, NO ADDED FAT, SUGAR, SALT OR COLOURINGS.. that has to be in caps because that is amazing. Once you taste these desirable treats you’ll be surprised that they are just that, A-MAZ-ING. Over here you can check out all their fruity and veg flavours.
Back on topic.. We have been chosen to be one there star bakers. We wanted to push out the boat with Nothing But and show you how many incredible ways you can use these snacks, they’re not for just opening the bag and simply snacking. Prepare for your taste buds to be blown.
We have come up with probably our most favourite creation yet. The banana split cupcake. We have got a chocolate, moist cupcake topped with creamy vanilla frosting. Now, this is where nothing but comes in. We have made mini meringues. and coloured them with the nothing but snacks. Then we dipped the meringues in chocolate and coated them in the snacks once again. For a full description on how we did this showstopper…Keep reading!
The Sponge –
- 70g Unsalted butter, room temp
- 170g Plain Flour
- 250g Caster Sugar
- 55g Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 220ml Whole Milk
- 2 Large Duck Eggs
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Bean
- 250g Icing Sugar
- 80g Unsalted Butter, room temp
- 20ml Whole Milk
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Bean
Meringue Drops –
- 2 Duck Eggs, White Only
- 120g Caster Sugar
- 3 Packets of Nothing but Strawberry and Banana Snack
- Dark Chocolate, melted
- Preheat the oven to 170C and line a cupcake tin.
- Add the butter, flour, caster sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt into an electrical mixer. Beat until it represents sandy texture.
- In a jug, add the eggs, milk and the vanilla and whisk until combined.
- Slowly add the liquid to the dry and mix until combined.
- Using a ice cream/cookie scoop divide the batter evenly between the cases.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Once the cakes are cooling start making the meringue.
- Preheat the oven to 110C.
- Place some baking paper onto a cookie sheet.
- Divide the banana and strawberry into bowls and then blend to a dust.
- To each fruit dust and a few drops of water until it turns into a paste. If needed add a bit of yellow to the banana.
- Put a star tip into a piping bag.
- Start painting stripes into the piping bag in your desired pattern. Set aside.
- Whist the egg whites with an electrical mixer until stiff peaks.
- Add the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time. Make sure the sugar is dissolved before each spoonful.
- Spoon the meringue into the pipping bag.
- Pipe the meringues onto the baking paper.
- Cook for 1 hour and 20 Minutes and allow to sit in the oven cooling for 30 minutes.
- Crush up 1 packet of nothing but snacks.
- Dip the meringues into melted chocolate and sprinkle over the nothing but snacks.
- Now time to make the best frosting known to baking.
- Beat the icing sugar and butter together in a electric mixer, on medium high.
- Turn down to slow and add the milk and vanilla bean and beat for 10 minutes. This is what makes it amazing.
- Pipe on the vanilla frosting using any tip you want.
- Add a meringue.
Now sit back, take a photo.. tag us in on Instagram and devour the whole batch. If there is any other bakes you would like us to do let us know below!
-Charlotte & Deborah x