It’s that time of the week again, the Great British Bake Off is on and we are teaming up with the amazing company, Nothing But, to create our own Great British Bake Off showstopper. You will be able to see our creations and the other star bakers on Nothing But’s Instagram and blog.
We wanted to push out the boat with Nothing But and show you how many incredible ways you can use these snacks, they’re not for just opening the bag and simply snacking. Prepare for your taste buds to be blown. The past two creations can be seen here, Apple & Fig Monkey Bread, Banana Split Cupcakes, Paradise Churros and Vegetable Samosas.
Nothing But are freeze dried snacks that are incredibly healthy for you and contain nothing but goodness. They contain 1 of your 5 a day, NO ADDED FAT, SUGAR, SALT OR COLOURINGS.. that has to be in caps because that is amazing. Once you taste these desirable treats you’ll be surprised that they are just that, A-MAZ-ING. Over here you can check out all their fruity and veg flavours.
So, here we are at week 5 and its Dessert week! If you love banana cake then you’ll love this moist strawberry and banana cake. Great when you are trying to use up spare fruit in the kitchen and don’t want to waste anything!
- 170g golden granulated sugar
- 80ml coconut oil (liquid form, which you can gently heat to liquify ) or vegetable oil
- 60ml unsweetened almond milk
- 2tsp of vanilla extract
- 3 good sized bananas, mashed
- 185g plain flour
- 2 tsp on baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 200g (approx.) or roughly chopped fresh strawberries
- Nothing but freeze dried strawberry and banana snack
1. preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and line a 9 inch square baking tin with greaseproof paper
or grease and flour the pan.
2. in a large bowl, whisk the sugar, coconut oil, milk and vanilla.
3. Add the mashed bananas and some of the freeze dried snack to combine.
4. Add the flour, baking powder, salt and gently fold in. Don’t over mix.
5. Add the strawberries and gentle fold in. reserve a few pieces for the top.
6. Put the mixture carefully into the prepared tin and gently level off.
7. Add the reserved strawberry pieces and anymore fresh sliced banana, if desired. Dust lighly with some more golden sugar.
8. Bake for approx. 40 minutes until a toothpick comes away clean when inserted into the middle and the the cake feels slightly springy to the touch. If batter still sticks to the toothpick, cook for a little longer, testing regularly as the fruit you are using might have more moisture in them, which will affect the cooking time slightly.
9. Place pan on a rack to cool for approx. 30 minutes and then turn out.
10. To serve add some flaked almonds to the top (optional) and some Nothingbut Strawberry and Banana freeze dried snacks.
11. We served ours with coconut cream, which we made with coconut cream, icing sugar and vanilla extract.
– Deborah & Charlotte x