Happy Halloween! In honour of one of out favourite times of the year, we have given you these spooky witches. These are so incredibly simple to make and honestly the most effective cupcakes for Halloween. You could give these away to trick or treaters, as gifts, as dessert for a party or just for any occasion you can think of for yourself!
We have used the amazing sugar and crumbs toffee apple frosting to pair this cupcake. We are going to leave a link below to their website as their icing sugars are honestly amazing! They don’t taste artificial in the slightest or too sickly sweet.
- 60g unsalted butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 duck egg
- 10g cocoa powder (organic)
- 1 drop of red Ameri color
- 1tsp vanilla bean paste
- 125ml buttermilk
- 150g plain flour
- 1/4 salt
- 1tsp orange zest
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 160g unsalted butter, slightly melted
- 10-15ml whole milk
- 1tsp vanilla bean paste
- orange, purple, green Ameri color gel
- 500g sugar and crumbs toffee apple icing sugar
- 12 ice cream cones – preferably use small cones or you can buy regular size and trim them down
- orange and yellow fondant
- Black gel paste
- Line a cupcake tin with some foil cases.
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Put the butter and sugar in an electric mixer and beat until smooth and fluffy.
- Add in the egg beat slowly until combined.
- In a small bowl add the cocoa powder, vanilla, and red gel paste. Now add this to the sugar mixture. Beat slow, until combined.
- Add half of the buttermilk to the mix and beat. Add half of the flour to the mix and beat and continue until there is no more buttermilk or flour.
- Add the bicarb and vinegar in and mix quickly till just combined.
- Using a cookie scoop, divide the batter into the cases and cook for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the witches hat. Paint the witches hat in black and leave to dry.
- Roll out a thin sausage of orange fondant and then flatten and wrap around the base of the cone. Using the same technique do the same with the yellow fondant, and cut out a small square in the middle. Using a little water attach to the orange fondant.
- While the cakes are cooling make the frosting. Beat the icing sugar and the butter in an electric mixer on low, until combined and sandy texture. Add the milk and the vanilla and mix until a slightly thick and creamy.
- Separate the frosting equally into three bowls. Make each frosting a different colour and mix thoroughly.
- Line a medium size of cling film down onto the surface of your worktop. Using a spoon apply the green frosting in a sausage line across the cling film. Add the purple next to the green, leaving no gaps. Add the orange on top of the purple and green in the middle. Fold the cling film over and twist the edges to form a sausage. You may want to add an extra layer of cling film for safety.
- Place a large star tip in a piping bag and push the cling film frosting into the piping bag. You can either pull the cling film string out and cut it or push the cling film as much as you can and start squeezing as will give the same effect. Pipe all cupcakes with frosting and place a hat on top.
– Charlotte & Deborah x